Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, June 2015

Wednesday, April 13, 2016


Like I said, I am so far behind. These are our photos from our annual family reunion in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina in June of last year. Can you tell we love the palm leaves? My cousin Estelle and I obsess over them every year as they trim the palmetto trees, and then we steal them without the landscapers looking and run from the house to the beach where the boardwalk is on fire with hot sand! It's mostly the rush because we don't know if we'd get into trouble for taking them or not so we feel a bit rebellious and then we find ourselves giggling the entire time we are fleeing away. It's become a bit of a tradition for Estelle and I. Weird, I know. 

Unfortunately, this year will be my first year of MY LIFE that I won't be able to go home in June and make it to the island because baby boy is due July 4th and I'll be past my time to fly. I am absolutely devastated, though, I have to remind myself that it's for a good reason, and an exciting one at that. I just need to find my big girl pants and stop my crying. It's just hard when I've been going to that island since I was five or six and I've never missed a year. 

With that said, I'm flying home in May, a week after my birthday to see my family and be home in Georgia for a few days and then my parents and my sisters and I are going to drive to our home on the island in South Carolina and have a last hoorah before I've got one of my own. It's just weird. Being the youngest in the family puts you in this state where you feel like for the rest of your life, you'll always be the aunt, the one without kids, and you'll always be your parents side kick and have no responsibility other than yourself. That's just hows its been my whole life and I've become very comfortable with that. Which is fine, but growing up and having change occur in life is hard to do and accept, at least for me. Even though this is a mighty good change. I feel really guilty admitting all of this but, whatever. I'd like to think I'm not the only one who feels this way, especially when expecting your first, though I do think that many people don't admit to it. Or so I'm telling myself to feel better. 

Anyways, I promise I'm really excited for this baby boy. I'm totally not coming off that way, whoops! So May. May I'll be spending it with my family, though Zeke and my brother-in-laws and my nieces and nephews wont be there, and neither will the whole gang including my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins, as they will all be going in June (minus Zeke) but it will be just as fun to spend some personal quality time with my parents and sisters before life gets even more fun. So cheers to new beginnings. 

No comments:

this might tickle your fancy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground