it's funny the memories that music can hold.

Saturday, April 11, 2015


Just a quick thought before it slips my mind. It's funny the memories that music can hold when you have forgotten to take picture. Zeke and I were on a 45 minute drive home tonight and somehow, someway Zeke always loves to go through his very much outdated ipod and play for me every Tupac song and explain over and over again the full blown history of rap music; how it was born, the war between the West coast and East coast, how this guy was shot, how this rap song calls out this guy, and how P Diddy is a girl and it just goes on and on and on and on. Basically, I have a full knowledge of the rapping wars of the late 80's & 90's.

Tonight's topic was Bone Thugs N' Harmony and I laughed and said, "my sister was so obsessed with them back in the day, she could probably sing every lyric to every song, unfortunately." The thought made me laugh a bit. And then a familiar song came on, "Crossroads" and I instantly became nostalgic.

My mind instantly took me to a specific place and time and it was Panama City Beach, Florida, on spring break in middle school with my friend Ines & her family. I specifically remember burning playlists on CD's for our trip and I loved this song "Crossroads" because I knew it had to of been cool because my sisters were always listening to it. I burned it on the CD and Ines and I learned all of the lyrics. I remember thinking how "cool" I felt. Middle schoolers... walking around in Panama City with collage kids all around and I knew the lyrics to Bone Thungs N' Harmony's "Crossroads." I was going places.

It brought a smile to my face in the car and aside from the song, I remembered that trip, and how much fun I had as a kid who was trying to grow up too fast and cared about being cool. Either way, I thought "where are those photos I took from that Spring Break trip?" Then I remembered that I don't believe I took a single one and all that I had left for the reminder of the memories was the sound of a Bone Thugs N' Harmony song, and I thank those boys for reminding me of a memory I didn't want to forget. Sadly, if it wasn't for hearing that song tonight, I don't know the next time I would have remembered that trip. It feels so distant from me. It's funny the memories that music can hold, when you forget to bring your camera.

No comments:

this might tickle your fancy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground