america : 2012 election

Wednesday, November 7, 2012


I know what you're thinking, "great, another remark regarding politics and the 2012 election." But before you tune out, I invite you and hope that you take the time to read what is about to be said. Some things need to be explained. I never get political on this blog because I try to stay out of that stuff when it's not necessary, but I do believe today is an okay day to practice freedom of speech and speak out as an American citizen. 

I'm sure you've had your dosage of political chaos on the internet, namely Facebook, and whether you are a Republican or a Democratic,  I'm sure you feel a sense of exhaustion from everyones thoughts : some negative, some positive, but a lot of them sympathetic. A fair amount of respect as well as disrespect has been exercised greatly in the media and I think some things need to be set straight. Unfortunately, I get so emotionally consumed in this that I have a loss of words and can't explain myself as I wish I could. So with that said, I want to share with you a post from my cousin Ashley's blog. She simply puts what needs to be said. Her feelings and emotions are something that I agree with deeply and feel the same way. We talked a bit tonight on the topic of the election and I felt deeply impressed to share her thoughts. Please take the time to read them, and please be respectful. 

"Where should I even begin? More than anything, I am just sad. In the 2008 election, I didn't necessarily love or strongly believe in McCain's abilities to shape this place up, but I certainly was in alignment with him more than I was with President Obama. This time around, however, I tried to inform myself on a daily basis with doses from both sides of the media. I campaigned for Governor Romney in Nevada. I made phone calls. I donated money. I tried to maintain composure and good standing with my friends, regardless of their political beliefs. I did these things because I believed, and still believe in Mitt. I truly believed that he could put us on a better path than the one we've been on for the past 4 years. I invested my time, money, and emotions because I knew that this election and campaign was something bigger than me. 

I don't regret anything that I invested. I feel like I've learned so many life lessons and grown in a spiritual and personal way, from this experience. I have fasted and prayed over and over again through this election. I've had multiple spiritual experiences that I will take with me forever. 

Am I disappointed? Of course. How could I not be? And I think that's okay. I'm not angry. I'm not name calling. I'm just sad. I feel frustrated when I see and read about so many of my friends trying to tell people to "stop whining and get over it." It hasn't even been a whole 24 hours! I would think that liberals more than anyone, would be able to understand that people are entitled to their feelings. People are allowed to be sad. I'm not validating or condoning people calling the President or other liberals, names. I think there is a serious line that should not be crossed. But if someone is sad, is that so wrong? I feel pretty confident in saying that every single Obama supporter I know, would be experiencing some of my same thoughts and emotions, had the election not been in their favor. 

I work with fabulous woman who has different political beliefs than I do. You want to know what our conversation was this morning? It started out as something entirely different. She didn't gloat. I didn't name call. I congratulated her and her candidate and she responded with something along the lines of, "Thanks! I am happy and am trying to contain it." What a lady. Isn't that how this should be? So many claim that we all need to "be American and move on." Is it American to tell people to shut up and get over it? This was a very important election for both sides and I think it's okay to feel upset if it doesn't work out in your favor. It is NOT okay to resort to extremes in either direction, and I know I have Facebook friends on both sides who felt it was acceptable to take it to a whole different level. They are no longer my Facebook friends. ;)

Mitt is, and always will be in my book, a class act. He is a humble, gracious, and generous man. I don't know that any informed individual could argue that, regardless of whether one agrees with his policies. I believe with everything in my being that his sole purpose in running was because he really believed that he could help the country. He didn't run for fame and money. He ran because he loves America. I can't help but feel sad when I hear anyone try to pollute his name with religious slanders and name calling. I feel proud to have supported him for the past 4 years. 

Above all, the election is over. The truth is, America doesn't crumble or succeed because of one man alone. While I feel the sadness and disappointment, I know that deep down, the only way to respond to this, is to pray for our President and our country. I hope that we will be able to pull through these hard financial times. America is a great country and will prosper if the people can remember the principals that we laid down by our Founding Fathers. 

"Men may fail in this country, earthquakes may come, seas may heave beyond their boundaries, there may be great drought, disaster, and hardship, but this nation, founded on principals laid down by men whom God raise up, will never fail. This is the cradle of humanity, where life on this Earth began in the Garden of Eden. This is the place of the New Jerusalem. This is the place that the Lord said is favored about all other nations in all of the world. This is the place where the Savior will come to His temple. This is the favored land in all the world. Yes, I repeat, men will fail, but this nation won't fail. I have faith in America; you and I must have faith in America, if we understand the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are living in a day when we must pay heed to these challenges. 

I plead with you to not preach pessimism. Preach that this is the greatest country in all the world. This is the favored land. This is the land of our forefathers. It is the nation that will stand despite whatever trials or crises it may yet have to pass through." 
- HAROLD B. LEE

I love that. No one is perfect, government and citizens alike. BUT, this is America. It truly is the greatest country in all of the world and I am proud to be a citizen of this blessed land. 

P.S. How beautiful did Ann look last night? They are truly a powerhouse couple and I wish their entire family well. " - ASHLEY ECKEL RASMUSSEN

I really have nothing to say after that. Ash summed everything up beautifully and perfectly. I understand how easy it is, the night of, the day after, to be heated, to be swamped with your raw feelings and emotions in the moment of it all. I have certainly had my fair share of emotions. I did try my best to educate myself as much as possible with the election. I tried to educate myself with both President Obama's policies and Governor Romney's. After it was all said and done, I was overwhelmed with a large amount of sadness and emotion. I didn't truly know, until that moment, how emotionally involved and passionate I had become with this election. This was a pivotal moment for America and it was a lot to take in all at once. 

I congratulate President Obama and I pray that he may move this country forward in the best way possible. As for Mitt Romney, I thank him for his hard work, his honesty, his integrity, his example, and his leadership. I don't think there is anyone quite like this man. He is truly special and has made an impact in my life. He is a true leader and I will always believe in him. I thank him for his continuous reminder of what the country was founded upon. He is a man of honor, a true hero. A film is coming to theaters soon starring Daniel Day Lewis called "Lincoln". The trailer is powerful and moving and I intend to see this. As it will be a great reminder of our American history of a President who meant so much to our country. Within the trailer, a quote is said from Mary Todd Lincoln which I think can apply to Mitt Romney in some ways. She said, "No one's ever been loved so much by the people. Don't waste that power." 

This nation under God has a birth of freedom, that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not parish from the Earth. For this, I am very blessed and grateful for my freedom. 

As an American, I will support President Obama respectfully and my God bless America, my home sweet home.  


1 comment:

J & J said...

well said rachel! i'm impressed. love you.

this might tickle your fancy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground