sweet southern georgia jams for the soul.

Monday, June 18, 2012


It's a personal thing of mine to make soundtracks to every season, location or vacation I'm on, to really feel the vibe of my surroundings and to dive into the feel of it all. Im currently and finally home sweet home in the deep deep south of Atlanta, Georgia. I love coming home, especially during the summertime. There is nothing in comparison to the South. The humidity, (which I happen to love) is a natural moisturizer, the magnolia trees are large and in charge, the oak trees bring a mysterious feel to the historic streets as they hang over you with their sweet southern comfort. The plantations make their grand statements of their beauty and memories of the past. The lightening bugs flicker in the night lighting up a path in the deep forrest of lush kudzu canopies. The southern fried chicken, grits & cajun creole fills the bellies of us southerners allowing us to sleep deep throughout the night. The home of classic coca cola, the perfect refreshment for the summertime. The Chattahoochee River floats silently through the rolling hills of Georgia while Atlanta, the Gate City of the House, the big peach, is alive at night with the southern drawl of the hustle and bustle. It's all just too good to be true.

The one highlight of the south, especially Atlanta, Georgia that I can't forget are the icons that made atlanta twist and shout ; the legendary Ray Charles, James Brown, Otis Redding and Gladys Knight and The Pips. The sounds of that good ol' southern soul music brings me back on that midnight train to Georgia. Every time I am home I surround myself with these artists and their music and I feel at peace. When I am away from home, I listen to my soulful friends on a regular basis and feel close to home. I have always wished that I lived back in the 50's and 60's in Georgia and twisted and shouted in the streets of Atlanta. Instead, I just dream, but still get that good ol' fashion feel with the kings & and queens of the south + some other mo-town friends, oh & johnny & june. So with further adieu, I give you my recipe of good ol' southern jams that make me feel at home : southern soul volume I.

1. Respect : Otis Redding
2. If You Were Mine : Ray Charles
3. Tuxedo Junction : The Andrews Sisters
4. (Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone : Aretha Franklin
5. Heat Wave : Martha Reeve & The Vandellas
6. (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher & Higher : Jackie Wilson
7. Papa's Got A Brand New Bag : James Brown
8. What'd I Say : Etta James
9. Little Bitty Pretty One : Frankie Lymon
10. Right Back Where We Started From : Maxine Nightingale
11. But It's Allright : J.J. Jackson
12. Pennies From Heaven : Billie Holiday
13. Jackson : Johnny Cash & June Carter
14. Knock On Wood : Eddie Floyd
15. Mess Around : Ray Charles 
16. Midnight Train To Georgia : Gladys Knight & The Pips
17. Georgia On My Mind : Ray Charles
18. A Change Is Gonna Come : Otis Redding

have a blast ya'll.

+ BONUS TRACK +
definitely not motown or that of mr. james and mr. charles
but if you're really going to listen to something from georgia. get a load of this. we seriously do rock it out to this one.
+ The Devil Went Down To Georgia : Charlie Daniels Band + 

No comments:

this might tickle your fancy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground